Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Surviving the Holidays




 A sense of panic starts to awaken around October, as Christmas decorations start furtively replacing Halloween decorations and the realization that the holidays are upon us. When you are chronically ill, the holidays offer added stress and panic. In the online communities I’m part of, I have already noticed the anxiety levels increasing with questions like “How will I prepare a meal?” “How do I get my house ready for guests?” “What do I talk about?” etc. My anxiety about the holidays started in September. Spoonies are great at finding solutions in difficult situations. We’re professional survivors, so I think it’s safe to say that we can find solutions during the holidays as well.

Holiday gatherings and parties are taxing for anyone, but for Spoonies they are especially challenging. For me, this year will be different. I’m not working and I have become home-bound. I have been able to do less and less over the years, but this year will be all about survival. My biggest concern is the New Year’s Eve party my husband and I always have at my parents’ house every year. Throwing a party is out of the question for me at the moment so my husband will have to do most of the work unfortunately, which he understands. Sometimes, this is reality. My goal is to be able to show up for the holiday gatherings and this party. If I can accomplish that, I’ll be over the moon.


Here are some suggestions to consider for the holidays and I would love to hear if you have other suggestions:


1.  Plan Ahead
I’m sure many of you are like me: I have a very careful plan whenever I leave the house and I try to prepare for all contingencies. This may mean bringing medication, mobility aids, fluids, etc with you.  If you are going to a friend or family member’s house, you may need to discuss your needs with the host or your family members. You may need extra care during a gathering but no one will know this unless you communicate it.

Maybe you’ll have to break up your preparations over a few days because you know that trying to do it all in one day will mean you can’t enjoy yourself or you’ll end up bed-ridden. You can even make a list or a plan for yourself if that helps.

If you have to travel, have your emergency supplies on hand with you. I have a giant purse that has water, salt, meds, and protein in it at all times. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. You know how many spoons you have so conserve and use them judiciously.

If you are spending the holiday alone, as Spoonies must do sometimes, prepare to have a restful and enjoyable day. Do something for yourself and know that spending time alone means you can celebrate on your own terms and manage your health without extra stress or pressure.

2.  “What do I say?”: Listen
I saw someone mention this and I often ask myself the same question. I’m not working, I only leave the house for appointments, I spend most of my time managing symptoms, and I’m re-watching Downton Abbey for the thousandth time. What do I have to discuss with anyone? Sometimes illness can be the elephant in the room when you are with friends and family, but it does not have to be a focal point. You only have to discuss whatever you feel comfortable with.

Although some Spoonies do not have a vibrant external life, this often strengthens a person’s internal life. Whenever I think of this exchange, I think of Emily Dickinson. We still have much to share.

It can be difficult to not feel sad or even resentful when you hear others discuss working, traveling, or exciting social lives, but holding to this negativity will never lead to happiness. These feelings can take us out of the present and make us feel worse about our quality of life. I have found a lot of joy in just listening to others discuss what they are doing and living through those experiences vicariously. I think illness has given me the gift of being a better listener and living more in the present. This can make you more compassionate as well. Share your ideas and thoughts and enjoy listening.

3. Ask for Help
This reiterates the first point. If you know that an activity or condition will sink you, ask for help. Maybe you’ll have to delegate cleaning or cooking. Maybe you’ll have to explain your dietary needs. Asking for help is anathema to my nature, but I’ve learned the hard way that every time I didn’t ask for help when I should have, I ended up not succeeding.

Don’t set yourself up for failure. You know more than anyone else what you are capable of and your limitations so communicate this. Hopefully you have people in your life you can rely on and trust so you can communicate that this time of year is especially challenging because they may not know this.

I have a very specific diet, so sometimes I bring my own food or eat before a gathering. Maybe you’ll need to bring a chair to sit in. Do whatever you have to do. It’s easy to ignore our own needs to maintain the appearance of functionality or to not create distraction, but your self-preservation is the utmost importance. Going to parties and being part of celebrations is a rare treat for many Spoonies, so do whatever you have to do to enjoy it.

I’ll be bringing a blanket to our NYE party so that I can lie down in one of my parents’ rooms throughout the party because I won’t make it otherwise. I’m also going to adjust my medication schedule and hydrate all week to see if I can last for a few hours. I’ll put on a smile and do my best to enjoy it.

4.  Celebrate
Maybe the overwhelming stress, the sight of singing Santas, and having to hear Paul McCartney’s “Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time” one more time is putting you over the edge, but it’s easy to lose sight of the fact that this is a time to celebrate. Find something to celebrate, whether it’s spending time with friends and family, cheating by eating food you normally wouldn’t allow yourself to eat, or getting to wear something sparkly. Carve out some celebration and enjoyment for yourself.

I thought the last two years were difficult, but this year was the most difficult year health-wise for me by far, but I feel like a warrior for surviving it. I know that I can continue to survive it. That’s worthy of celebrating.

Even if you don’t have anyone or many to celebrate with, celebrate yourself. If you can't go to a gathering, you can celebrate on your own terms. You made it through another year of battling illness with dignity and grace. Your strength is worth celebrating!



I wish you symptom-free days, chocolate, and lots of joy for your holidays. How are you going to enjoy yourself despite your illness?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!