Thursday, February 11, 2016

Valentine's Day Playlist



This week I bring you something fun and uplifting, a Valentine’s Day playlist to get your groove on. I’m joining forces with my BFF Carrie Anne over at Little Big Blog for this one and we’re calling ourselves “Little Broken Hearts.” She curated her own love song playlist, and both playlists are here for you to enjoy.  

We text each other about 100 times a day, and she suggested this post about a week ago. She knows I’m a sucker for making playlists. I know many of you have activities you like to do while you have to rest on the couch or in bed as your body comes up with new ways to break, doing things such as adult coloring books or Netflix. I like those things too, but what I love to do the most is make playlists. I make a playlist for every event or gathering because I worry more about the music being right more than having the right food or drinks. I can spend hours fine-tuning playlists.

So when she suggested this post, my brain started spinning. These are songs that I really love and that make my heart feel warm and squishy. I hope they make you feel warm and squishy too! I explained a bit about each song and why I chose it.

Hit play and enjoy!




-Van Morrison “Into the Mystic”
This song has become like an anthem for me and husband, and we listen to it almost daily. The spirituality in the lyrics, the acoustic arrangement, and then the poignant saxophones that punch through give this song such a soulful, ethereal beauty that it’s hard not to feel your heart swell listening to it. It touches all the right places in my soul: “We were born before the wind/ Also younger than the sun / Ere the bonnie boats were won / As we sailed into the mystic”

-Nick Drake “Northern Sky”
We put this song on our playlist we gave as favors at our wedding 10 years ago. Nick Drake’s talent burned bright, but sadly he died far too young. He did leave us with his legacy of gorgeous music to still enjoy. This is another soulful, upbeat song that always makes me feel happy. Listen for the bouncy interplay of his guitar, the piano, and the organ. This one is perfect for long drives on sunny Sunday mornings.

-Bruce Springsteen “Secret Garden”
This song just slays me. Utterly slays me. I’ve been listening to it on loop the last few weeks. I can’t even do anything else while it comes on. It just possesses me completely. 

-Stevie Wonder “Creepin”
I’m a huge Stevie Wonder fan. Along with Nat Cole, he is my boyfriend. This is easily one of the sexiest songs he has written. Unsurprisingly, he plays every instrument on this song. It’s got all the makings of a great Stevie song but it’s the understated groove and longing in the lyrics that make this one perfect for love. This is a good one for make out sessions with your Valentine.

-Feist “Inside and Out”
This one is just pure fun. All respect to the Bee Gees, but Feist really modernized and improved this jam. The increased tempo really did the trick. This is one to dance to with your Valentine. Get up and shake it or get your groove on from your couch (which is how I do it).

- Sting "A Thousand Years"
I adore Sting. I love his intellectual brand of pop music and his brilliant musicianship. I had a hard time picking which song of his to include. I almost went with “Fields of Gold,”  but I really like this obscure song on one of his later albums. I love the cosmology imagery in the lyrics and the way he blends world music in his songwriting. This song deserves a careful listen. 

-The Nat King Cole - “There is No Greater Love”
I don’t even know what to say about Nat Cole. He is probably my favorite musician and has been for 20 years. His trio material is his best work, but most people know him for his vocal material. He was a brilliant pianist, organist, and arranger as well. This song is one of my all-time favorite songs in general. The arrangement is string-heavy but is the perfect complement to his velvet voice. “There is no greater love in all the world/ It’s true / No greater love than what I feel for you.”

-Sam Cooke- “I Wish You Love”
I’m convinced Sam Cooke’s voice has curative powers. It’s medicinal music. His voice has saved me multiple times when I’m crashing physically or emotionally. This song makes me feel melty all over. It’s hard to choose which Sam Cooke song to use for this list but this one is perfect.

-The Temper Trap “Sweet Disposition”
I only recently discovered this song even though it’s been popular for awhile. I had to include it because I’ve been listening to it non-stop for weeks now. It’s got everything you could want in a great pop love song: pulsing drum, falsetto vocals, an explosive chorus, an upbeat arrangement. This is also one to dance to.

-Diana Krall “Popsicle Toes”
This song is sexy and fun. She’s one of my favorite musicians and I’ve seen her live a few times too. This is a Michael Franks song she made her own. The sexy, suggestive lyrics and the pulsing groove make this one also a great make out song.

-Patty Griffin “Heavenly Day”
This song always makes me a little misty. It’s such a gorgeous ballad. I only started listening to Patty Griffin a few years ago and I really feel like I’ve wasted so much of my life not listening to her. My favorite part about this song is she wrote it about her dog.

-Tori Amos “Merman”
Like most Tori Amos fans, I’m a fanatic for Tori and have been since I was a teenager. I have her entire catalogue memorized. There are other embarrassing things I can share but I’ll save it for another time. This is one of my favorite Tori songs and the sweetest lullaby she’s ever released. It’s just her piano and her layered vocals. That’s standard Tori. Get your tissues out for this one. It’s unbelievably sweet. 


Now enjoy Carrie Anne's playlist! It's 90s perfection :) 





I wish you all love and a wonderful Valentine's Day!

What love songs would you include on your playlist?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are much appreciated!